How to Recover from a Flooded Basement

Extensive mold growth throughtout the walls and ceilings of a home

Having a flooded basement can be problematic. Anyone who has experienced this already has an idea about this. Not only do you have to deal with the standing water, but you also have to deal with the stress of dealing with the damage it has done to your personal belongings. It certainly is not an easy task to recover from a flooded basement. However, with a positive attitude, and knowing where to start, you can minimize the damage that it can do upon your home. Right now, we want to talk about how you can tackle this situation the right way.


Cut off power in your basement.

First things first. What we need you to do is shut off the power in your basement. Please keep in mind that you need to stay out of the water no matter what. Safely reach into your circuit breaker without touching the water. If you cannot do this, then you just have to find another way for you to reach the circuit breaker safely. If there is no other way, you can always call your electric company. The last thing we want to happen is for you to hurt yourself in the process.


Remove stagnant water ASAP.

For you to go around this easily, you can use a sump pump. A sump pump is used especially for accumulated water. If you don’t have one of these lying around, you may always use a shop vacuum or a trusty bucket. We want you to remove the water ASAP because flood water contains pathogens, bacteria, and germs that eventually produce molds. If in case your basement gets infested, the mold should be removed for obvious health reasons.


Inspect the severity of damage.

Once you have removed the water, it is always wise to inspect the damage next. However, keep in mind that some items may need to be thrown away or replaced.


Clean everything and dehumidify your basement.

Dry and wash everything that can still be salvaged. We recommend you to use bleach and water for doing this task. Also, do not forget to dehumidify your basement since flooded basements are prone to mold. By using a dehumidifier you are decreasing the amount of moisture in the air. It is also best to keep the windows and doors open to get a good air circulation.


These steps are simple but certainly not easy. With a positive drive and with the help from your family and friends, you can certainly overcome this task much easier.

Leave a Reply