If you are thinking of moving to a new home, it’s not enough to consider the house itself. You also have to think about where it is located. The neighbourhood matters too, since you are also buying into a lifestyle when you choose a home, and it can be challenging to compare different ones for sustainable features.
Neighbourhood with Sustainable Features Defined
A neighbourhood with sustainable features is one that has all the amenities that meet your and your families’need while still protecting the environment. It will offer homes that are within easy walking or cycling distance of shopping, schools, recreational facilities, and restaurants. These stores and services are close to public transportation routes if you prefer to take that mode of transportation to cut down on your driving when you are close to home.
Comparing Neighbourhoods for Sustainable Features
Start by making your list of criteria for the neighbourhoods you are most interested in. This will keep your comparisons fair. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Distance from house to school, work and shopping. Can residents choose how to get to their destinations? (Walk, cycle, or take public transit)?
- Can local residents manage without taking their car everywhere, which will save money?
- How much will it cost to buy a home in the neighbourhood?
- How many rooms are in the house/houses being considered in this neighbourhood?
- Are there several housing choices available in the neighbourhood, so residents can choose to stay nearby when their housing needs change?
The answers to these questions will help you evaluate your housing options in a particular neighbourhood.
Consider a Neighbourhood as a Long-term Move
If you find a particular neighbourhood that you like and that feels like “home”to you, do take the time to consider whether it will fit your needs over the long term. As your housing needs change, you don’t necessarily need to consider moving across town or relocating to a different part of the GTA. Your next home could be just around the corner if you settle in the right neighbourhood from the beginning.
Would you like to consult with experienced realtors who can provide information about different neighbourhoods and help you find one that will suit your needs? Daniel and Bonne Wan have the knowledge and expertise to help you find a place that you can call home. Call them today for your personal consultation.